Winter is here and with it comes a whole new set of garage door issues. As the temperatures drop, your garage door can suffer from all sorts of problems. From frozen tracks to malfunctioning openers, here are some common garage door issues in winter and how to fix them.
Is Your Garage Door Frozen Shut?
One of the most common problems with garage doors in winter is that they can freeze shut. This is usually caused by moisture in the air mixing with cold temperatures and freezing the tracks and seals. Fortunately, this is a relatively easy problem to fix.
To unfreeze your garage door, start by cleaning the tracks. Remove any dirt or debris that may be blocking the path of the rollers. Then, take a spray bottle full of warm water and spray the tracks. This should help to melt any ice that’s preventing the door from opening.
If that doesn’t work, you can try using a de-icing product. These products are designed to quickly melt ice and are available at most hardware stores. Once you’ve applied the de-icing product, you should be able to open the door.
Is Your Garage Door Opener Not Working?
Another common problem with garage doors in winter is that the opener can stop working. This is usually caused by cold temperatures affecting the motor or other parts of the opener.
The first thing you should do is check the batteries in your remote. If the batteries are low, replace them with fresh ones. This may solve the problem.
If that doesn’t help, you may need to lubricate the motor and other parts of the opener. This will help to prevent the motor from freezing up. You can also try resetting the opener by pressing the reset button.
If none of these solutions work, it may be time to replace your opener.
Is Your Garage Door Off Track?
Another common issue with garage doors in winter is that the tracks can become misaligned. This can happen due to freezing temperatures or from the door being opened and closed too often.
If your garage door is off track, the first thing you should do is check the tracks for any debris or obstructions. Clear out any debris and make sure the tracks are aligned correctly. You can also use a level to make sure the tracks are level.
If the tracks are still misaligned, you may need to call a professional to adjust them.
Is Your Garage Door Insulation Not Working?
If your garage door is not properly insulated, it can be subject to extreme temperature changes. This can cause the door to contract and expand, causing it to become misaligned.
To fix this issue, you’ll need to add insulation to the door. There are several different types of insulation available, so make sure you choose one that is appropriate for your climate. Once the insulation is installed, it should help to keep your garage door in good shape.
What kind of services do garage doors companies provide during the winter?
Of course, if you are not a professional, it might be time-consuming and nervous work – to fix garage doors by yourself. Professionals, besides those things you can do by yourself, provide you with wide variety of options:
- Emergency Response: Many garage door services companies offer emergency services, they will come to your home immediately to repair your garage door even in the harshest weather conditions. Whether your garage door’s springs are damaged, your garage door opener isn’t working, or your garage door has come off its tracks, they will work quickly to fix the issue and ensure your home stays secure.
- Weatherproofing: Garage door services companies offer weatherproofing services to keep your garage door working smoothly during the winter months. This includes adding insulation to the door and sealing any gaps, which will help to keep cold air out, heat in, and reduce your energy bills.
- Providing Regular Maintenance: Your garage door needs regular maintenance to perform at its best during winter, such as lubrication of the moving parts to prevent them from freezing. Garage door services companies have the knowledge and tools to provide this maintenance, ensuring your garage door works reliably throughout the winter season.
- Installing Emergency Release Features: In case of power outages, which are more common in winter due to storms, garage door service companies can install an emergency release feature. This allows you to manually open and close your garage door in case of a power outage.
- Assistance with Winter-Related Damages: Heavy snowfall and ice accumulation can cause damage to the garage door tracks or the door itself. Garage door companies can provide essential repair services like straightening bent tracks, fixing dents, or even replacing damaged sections of the door.
- Upgrading Insulation and Seals: If your garage door isn’t properly insulated or the seals around your garage door aren’t working correctly, a lot of heat can escape from your home. Garage door service companies can install energy-efficient insulation and replace broken seals, helping to keep your garage warm.
- Installation of Safety Sensors: Garage door services companies can also install safety sensors that stop and reverse the door if anything or anyone is in its path. This is especially important in winter when children or pets might be playing in the snow close to the garage door.
These are just a few of the ways garage door services companies can help you during winter, providing essential maintenance, repair, and upgrade services to ensure your garage door operates safely and efficiently, no matter the weather.
Winter can be tough on garage doors, but with the right maintenance and repair techniques, you can keep your garage door in good working order. If your garage door is suffering from any of the issues discussed above, follow the tips above to get it back in working order. In case you have any other problem it would be a good idea to contact technicians.