In today’s world, Anxiety disorders have become a fairly common condition. Experiencing anxiety occasionally is fine; however, persistent feeling of nervousness, fear or panic are not.
These feelings of panic or fear may interfere with your routine activities and can be difficult to control. There are various risk factors associated with anxiety disorders. For early diagnosis visit a psychiatrist at Fortis hospital in Gurgaon. Some of the risk factors are:
- Sax – Women are more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety problems as compared to men.
- Substance Abuse – People who do substance abuse like taking drugs or drinking alcohol regularly are at a greater risk of developing Anxiety. Cigarette smoking and tobacco use is also linked to greater anxiety issues.
- Family History – People who have relatives who struggle with anxiety issues are at a greater risk of developing it.
- Trauma – Children who have witnessed any traumatic event in their childhood or have experienced abuse may develop anxiety later.
- Personality – People having a Type A personality are at a risk of developing anxiety.
- Stress – People leading a stressful life may develop physical complications like diabetes which can lead to increased anxiety
- Other mental health disorders- People experiencing other mental health disorders like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc may also develop anxiety.
Understanding the symptoms of anxiety:
The most common symptom is persistent fear and worry. However, over time the person might start having other symptoms which may affect their work as well as their personality. These symptoms are:
- Feeling restless – A person becomes more restless and fidgety
- A sense of impending danger – A person may experience constant sense of danger or worry while performing various activities
- Increased blood pressure – The heart rate increases leading to increase in the blood pressure
- Trembling or Shivering – Shivering of limbs while speaking with other people or while performing routine tasks.
- Trouble concentrating – Due to the constant worry, the person will not be able to concentrate on a single task at a given point of time.
- Insomnia – Due to the constant chain of thoughts, the person may experience difficulty in sleeping.
- Excessive Sweating – A person may experience excessive sweating and develop different gastrointestinal problems.
- Avoiding things that trigger anxiety – The person may avoid things that can trigger anxiety. It can be detrimental for a person’s well-being, especially if he/she suffers from social anxiety and may avoid going out or contacting other people.
Treatment options for anxiety:
There are multiple treatment options available to manage and cure anxiety. Depending on your condition and the severity of the disorder, the appropriate treatment will be provided. Visit a psychiatrist at fortis hospital in Gurgaon to know more. Some of the treatment options are as follows:
- Medications – The effects of Anxiety disorder can be reduced using various medicines as prescribed by the psychiatrist. These medicines can help keep a check on Anxiety and slow down its progression.
- Changes in lifestyle – Adopting a healthy lifestyle can create significant changes in the personality. Eat healthy fruits and vegetables and exercise regularly for 30 mins to keep a check on your physical health. Practicing yoga and meditation can also help decease stress levels significantly.
- Psychotherapy – Apart from medicines, psychotherapies like hypnotherapy, expressive arts therapy, etc can also immensely benefit in reducing anxiety levels.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – Through this therapy, the patient will be able to learn different relaxation techniques. The doctor also helps the patient in restructuring his thoughts and avoid thinking patterns which foster anxiety.
Anxiety disorder is very common and can be easily treated. To learn more, book an appointment with a trusted psychiatrist at Fortis hospital in Gurgaon.