What you eat can directly affect many aspects of your physical health including your risk of developing diseases like cancer etc. The development of cancer has been shown to be heavily influenced by your diet. Many foods contain beneficial compounds that could help decreases the growth of cancer. This article will gives you the information about some foods that may lower your risk of cancer in which some food items are given below.
- Broccoli :- Broccoli contains sulforaphane that may have potent anti cancer properties. One test-tube study showed that sulforaphane reduced the size and number of present cancer cells by up to 75 %. Some studies have also found that higher intake of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli may be linked to lower risk of colorectal cancer. Broccoli with a few meals per week may come with some cancer fighting benefits.
- Beans: – Beans are high in fiber which may be protective against colorectal cancer. Human and animal studies have found that a higher intake of beans could reduce the risk of colorectal tumors and colon cancer. An animal study also found that feeding rats black beans or navy beans and inducing colon cancer blocked the development of cancer cells by up to 75%.
- Carrots: – Some studies have found an association between carrot consumption and decreased risk of prostate, lung and stomach cancer. Some studies have found that eating more carrots is linked to decreased risk of certain types of cancer. An analysis looked at the results of some studies and concluded that eating carrots may reduce the risk of stomach cancer by up to 26%. It found that current smokers who did not eat carrots were three times as likely to develop lung cancer, compared to those who ate carrots more than once per week.
- Cinnamon: – Some test tube and animal studies have found that cinnamon may help block the spread of cancer cells. Another test tube study showed that cinnamon essential oil suppressed the growth of head and neck cancer cells and also significantly reduced tumor size. Study also showed that cinnamon extract induced cell death in tumor cells, and also decreased how much tumors grew and spread.
- Berries: – Berries are high in anthocyanins, plant that have antioxidant properties and may be associated with reduced risk of cancer; A study gave freeze-dried black raspberries to patients with oral cancer and showed that it decreased levels of certain markets associated with cancer progression. One animal study that giving rats freeze-dried black raspberries reduced esophageal tumor incidence by up to 54% and decreased the number of tumor by up to 62%.
- Nuts :– Some studies have found that an increased intake of nuts may decrease the risk of cancer. Research shows that some specific types like Brazil nuts and walnuts may also be linked to a lower risk of cancer. Similarly one animal study showed that feeding mice walnuts decreased the growth rate of breast cancer cells by 80% and reduced the number of tumors by 60%. These results suggest that adding a serving of nuts to your diet each day may reduce your risk of developing cancer in future.
- Turmeric:– Turmeric is a spice well known for its health promoting properties. Curcumin, its active ingredient is a chemical with anti-inflammatory antioxidant and even anti cancer effects. Another test tube study showed that curcumin helped kill off head and neck cancer cells, curcumin has also been shown to be effective in slowing the growth of lung, breast and prostate cancer cells in other test-tube studies, for the best results aim for at least ½- 3 teaspoons of ground turmeric per day can reduce the risk of cancer in future.
- Olive oil :– Several studies have found that a higher intake of olive oil may help protect against cancer. Olive oil is loaded with health benefits, so it’s no wondering its one of the staples of the Mediterranean diet. One massive review made up of 19 studies showed that people who consumed the greatest amount of olive oil had a lower risk of developing breast cancer and cancer of the digestive system than those with the lowest intake.
- Flaxseed: – High in fiber as well as heart healthy fats, flaxseed can be a healthy addition to your diet. Some studies have found that flaxseed may reduce cancer growth in breast and prostate cancers. It is also high in fiber which may decrease the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study 161 men with prostate cancer were treated with flaxseed, which was found to reduce the growth and spread of cancer cells.
To conclude, Add above mentioned foods in your daily routine because a healthier diet can help to reduce the spread and growth of the cancer.