Usually, modern windows can be opened either by sliding sashes or by using a cranking mechanism. You will most likely come across 2 of the most common types of crank-group windows, searching the market, called awning and casement windows. And even though these two window types are slightly similar, they are definitely not the same. Keeping this in mind, it’s essential to know their individual differences to make sure you pick the perfect fit for the window replacement project for your home.
We have talked with Ecoline Windows experts and gathered all essential information to elaborate on the differences between awning vs casement windows, prices, and which one you should choose when it comes to replacement.
Table of Contents
Casement or Awning Windows: Key Difference
The most significant distinction between these two is that awning windows are equipped with hinges along the top of the window, whilst their casement counterpart goes with the hinges on the side. When you use the crank on an awning window, this window is to be opened from the bottom, and the pane of glass is raised outside and away from the frame. When it comes to the casement window, you face the same process, but the window goes either to the left or the right.
When to Pick Casement & Awning Windows?
When you decide what type of window will be a perfect match for you, it is crucial to take into account location and sizes. Awning windows are excellent for walls where the width is bigger than the height. That is why you can usually find awning windows in such locations as the finished basement, where the only top half of the room is above ground. If you consider the casement windows, they would be best used in locations where the height is greater than the width. It goes so because these windows are usually thinner in width. However, there is an opportunity to get multiple casement windows (combine them) to fill a more significant window space. These two window types are beautiful choices if you want:
- An unobstructed view outside since they do not offer rails or meeting sashes;
- To install them in hard-to-reach areas. Their cranks provide an opportunity for smooth opening and closing. Moreover, they are perfect for areas where ventilation is vital, such as in bathrooms, kitchens, or basements;
- More air. The windows can be opened entirely outside, so they bring more air flows via the entire window opening;
- Easy maintenance. Casement and awning windows are super easy to clean and maintain, and what is more, they can be easily customized to suit the look of any house.
Casement & Awning Windows Replacement: Types and Prices
When you need a windows replacement, it is always a bold decision to take since it is a considerable investment in your house, safety and, of course, comfort. A window that will look fabulous, function well and stay with you for the next 25 years will usually cost more than the often advertised low-prices windows. That is why it is vital to know which type of windows to invest in, and ultimately, what are the prices depending on the window and location within your house.
Today, vinyl casement and awning windows are considered the best option for frame, price, durability, and energy efficiency. They are built with high-quality materials to give you top-notch replacement windows at a wallet-friendly price. Vinyl windows can be customized with various colours and trim options, so you are free to design the perfect fit for your home. When it comes to energy efficiency boost, vinyl casement and awning windows are a top choice as well. Good window companies always offer premium energy efficiency products and features to lower your annual energy bills.
So, now you know that vinyl is your first stop if you want to install casement or awning windows. But what about the prices? Well, while it is impossible to give an exact quote without knowing all your preferences, and additional options you need, there is a table with a typical price range for standard vinyl windows in Canada:
|Basement||$535 – $1,022||$471 – $1114|
|Bathroom||$446 – $1,032||$432 – $943|
|Bedroom||$444 – $1193||$893 – $909|
|Bonus room||$676 – $1134||$494 – $944|
|Dining room||$550 – $1348||$843 – $1429|
|Family room||$605 – $1999||$621 – $1157|
|Foyer||$858 – $1999||n\a|
|Front||$583 – $1014||$483 – $1414|
|Garage||n\a||$703 – $902|
|Kitchen||$329 – $1356||$419 – $1471|
|Living room||$484 – $1614||$485 – $1384|
|Master bedroom||$545 – $1304||$588 – $1120|
|Nook||$549 – $1149||$734 – $920|
How to Choose the Best Window Company for Replacement & Installation
When going for windows replacement, it is crucial that you deal with a window manufacturer you can trust. Do not hesitate to ask the company how long they have been in this business; analyze their website and offers, and read real customer reviews on the web. Speaking of reliable manufacturers in Canada, Ecoline Windows is an excellent example of a window company you can trust when it comes to:
- Installation. Proper window installation is critical to ensure your new windows’ performance. Ecoline provides professional installation services that are completed according to your local building codes and CSA guidelines.
- Certifications. It is always a good thing to check the credentials of the replacement window company you are going to deal with. When shopping for new windows, always check products’ certifications and standards. For example, Ecoline has all their windows Energy Star rated and NAFS-11 tested, which is a sign of high quality and top standards for energy efficiency and overall windows performance.
- Warranty. You should always check what the warranty covers and how long its duration. At Ecoline, you get a full 25 years warranty that covers all the essentials and ensures you get the full assistance in case any issue arises.
Casement Replacement: Case Study from Ecoline Windows
If you are about to get a new casement or awning window, the cost and timeframe might depend on multiple factors. Size, materials, location within the home, and other add-ons like locks, glazing, and painting are those crucial aspects that might affect the final price. So, here is. a real example provided by Ecoline Windows:
“A client visited our office asking to replace their old and high maintenance windows with a new casement solution. After speaking with our representative, the client decided on the following window configuration, which suited them the best”:
Read Also : 3 Sure Signs You Need New Home Windows
|LoE||Exterior Wrapping||Glazing||Exterior Wrapping Colour||Gas||Hardware Color||Timeframe||Location||Price|
|Energy Gain||Frame to Brickmould Sizing||Triple Glaze||Vinyl Colour Match||Argon||White||7-10 weeks delivery||Kitchen||$650-$750|
“My new casement windows were installed on time. The crew was polite and knowledgeable, answering all the questions I had. I adore the configuration and final look”, – the client says.